There are now no shops in Sutton Poyntz, but old censuses and Trade Directories show the variety of shops and trades that were available within the village. For example, in the 1881 Census, the village had a grocer, a baker, a carpenter, a thatcher, a blacksmith, several dressmakers, a glovemaker, and a shoemaker.
There is now a single pub, the Springhead, which started life in the 1890's as a Hotel. Before that, the village had other pubs; the Butcher's Arms (sometimes known as the Three Horseshoes) nearly opposite the entrance to Puddledock Lane, and the Spring Bottom Pub, which could have been what is now known as Fox Cottage. Preston had two pubs, the Ship (now called the Spice Ship) and the Swan (now called the Bridge).